mcollective-yum-agent release 0.4

I decided that I will actually do releases of the MCollective yum agent, though there will likely not be many.

Because I use Github as my only remote I sometimes push broken code so I can pull it to another machine later to keep working. This could result in an end user pulling the broken code and well, being generally annoyed.

With the latest additions to add `list` as a subcommand, I figured I’d tag a release and then people can nab that instead.

The .4 I picked out of the air. I feel like I am about 2/5ths done, so .4 seemed appropriate on the way to a 1.0 release.

I am also planning to produce a RPM that I will publish in a Yum Repository. Seems like blasphemy that a yum agent doesn’t have it’s own repo/rpm.

Releases URL:

Change Log for 0.4
* Added `list` subcommand
** See docs for usage

yum mcollective agent

Almost 3 years ago I created 2 MCollective Agents for use at my last employer. One was a `yum` specific agent that allowed us to automate the patching of their brand new 500+ Redhat Enterprise Linux footprint. The second agent, shellout, allows you to execute arbitrary shell commands on hosts concurrently. Both agents enjoy the rich filtering capability you get for free with MCollective.

The Yum agent was by far the more popular agent. I think the Shellout agent scares people and it should, but nonetheless it has suffered poor adoption.

My concern recently has been that if you wanted to manage the Yum agent in your environment you either had to “cut” your own release and make an rpm of it, or just copy and paste it into your config management class to have it distributed. Chances are you want to use git in those workflows to get the agent from me. And now you have the shellout agent tagging along for the ride.

Future state: I have renamed the main repository to just be the yum repo and split the other agent into a separate repository so they can be managed independently. As of today you can get them at the following github links (though old urls will continue to work):


I am planning a post on my justification of the maligned Shellout agent in the very near future, so please come back.

iTunes “Helper”

I have a bluetooth headset I like. I use it at night sitting on the sofa messing around on my laptop to listen to music or videos on YouTube. However one annoyance I have always had with them is that when I connect to them they would launch iTunes.

So I googled around a bit and noticed that there was an app called iTunesHelper that was part of my Login Items. I removed it from there, and that seemed to do the trick, at first.

After a few weeks I noticed the behavior came back. I was perplexed, until I realized iTunes must be restarting the helper when it was used. After a 2 second test I realized this was true. So I helped the helper.

# cd /Applications/
# sudo mv
# sudo pkill iTunesHelper

Ugh, done.